Friday, March 26, 2021

Book Review: "The Other Emily" By Dean Koontz



Why does this song come to mind, "Like a Bridge Over Troubled Waters?" 

I'm not sure myself but what I can tell you is this is a Dean Koontz classic that's ripe for the picking with all the specialties that are all his own making.

We have everything of a mixed bag and ladies the kitchen sink's included in this one. There's a whack nut serial killer named Ronny Lee Jessup who confessed to playing a role in the disappearance of 27 women.

Plus, we have for added enjoyment several -A Listers- such as David Thorne - who takes so much heat for merely wanting to find his gal -Emily Carlino. David's a writer on a mission you could say to find Emily and get her back. She's was the love of his life and it's not fair that she was taken as the guilt is unbearable. 

Now, I'm sworn to secrecy but this story line is off the wall with that sci-fi, dystopian, futuristic feel in which the past might just be the present and beyond.

You see sometimes I fall in love with things that I wish I could bottle it up and save it all. Well, that idea of cloning an exact replica is in play here too but with a twist of lemon and bit of honey.

I mean it's like two for the price of one -like that buy one get one sale if you get my drift.

The answers you seek are hidden in the context so beware.

As if I didn't entice you enough I can also note that there's some creepy shiite going down in the basement. 

Controlling others, transmitting consciousness, importing and exporting ideas from one to another. Wouldn't that be a treat? I'd use it on my ex spouse- take the good parts, misplace the bad ones- and bing, bang, boom - I'm in business.

I digress, because in this story it's all about ratcheting up the interests, getting the unbelievable to become the believable, keeping everyone on their toes. Yes, that includes Emily (whose safely tucked away), Maddison, and oh, yes...Anna.

Have you seen those avatars on Facebook- I love sending those to my kids- here's an idea. What if we could experience life as a human as an avatar?

Just saying- take that for a spin - if you will.

Now, what I must note is that Ronny was arrested three years later for his actions but he's not entirely out of the woods.

Could this Maddison gal really be Emily? 

Oh, wait one second--Stuart Ulrich is on the scene prowling around. You know the only people I know who prowl is rapist, lurkers, pervs, and stalkers. So, which one is this freak?

Can't tell you but that's why you might want to run out and get this one.

Thank you to Dean Kootz, the pub, and Goodreads Giveaway for this kindle exclusive.

No comments:

Post a Comment