Thursday, January 14, 2021

Book Review: "Happiness Become You" By Tina Turner

 


So let us begin shall we...

I've chased after this book since September 17, 2020 via Netgalley.
I've tried more than a few times to find a 'free copy' but couldn't so I had no choice but to wait till my local libraries received it.

Luckily that day finally arrived as I'm huge fan of Tina Turner because her life is similar to mine in the fact that she experienced abuse, grew up in a toxic environment, and forged her own path while raising a family and having a supportive career.
The key here is the latter-SUPPORT!

It's no secret you need a loving supportive structure -an inner circle of friends- a group who values your worth as much as you value their friendships. This is just the first step because no matter how positive and cheerful you are things don't just happen via luck.

I've prayed, I've begged, I've put myself out there and with each turn I've been turned away and it makes me wonder had Tina written this in the moment of her struggles her views and experiences would've been much different.

Hindsight is twenty-twenty and her life in Zurich with her new found love and success after so many trial and tribulations including her most recent stroke is inspiration to us all.
However, we can't get anywhere if we stay locked in the past. We've all had our ups and downs but it's difficult to excel when every door that opens is met with hostility, anger,& disregard for human life.

We now live in a nation in which it's the hooray for me the hell with you theory. I've tried so damn long to pull out of this spinning wheel of lost hope. The one in which you become long term unemployed after 20 yrs. of raising kids. The one in which you're told to suck it up buttercup we all have problems. The one in which you're told you deserved the abuse or worse you never experienced what you experienced as denied by your own siblings.
You must know your interpretation of how you were treated is your right to own. Do not let anyone take your experiences and beliefs and try to cover them up.

You have a right to feel how you feel. You are enough. You are loved by God.
Yes, I agree we all have our talents. We were born with everything we need to be successful.
It's that definition of happiness and success that I would ask one define in their own terms.
You can be just as successful in life raising a family as you are holding down a 9-5 job.
So, when you might think that child rearing, volunteering, or simply donating books daily to promote reading is insignificant it is not.

The ultimate goal is to be happy in whatever form that comes to you.
If you're happy doing it then by all means continue.
This book showcases much of her life in a nut shell of struggles, hardships, and yet the courage and tenacity to move forward no matter the storm.
Weathering the storm is the key for life.

How you choose to do such will determine your true happiness.
When people tell you that you can't do something - turn up the volume- and blow it out of the water.

I'm thrilled I was finally able to read this short memoir of her life and ultimately this inspirational work because I admire this lovely lady. My dream was to always one day meet her and OPRAH but it never came to be.

Perhaps this book added some closure for me in that respect because being in extreme poverty, having been tossed to the curb with three kids after divorcing, unable to secure employment after 20 yrs. of raising a family with the latter ten being turned down at every step isn't so bad after all.

Life is what you make of it and we can only all hope and pray that lucky break comes again be it in the form of Buddhism, chanting, meditating, yoga, or whatever higher calling power you use.

Karma be damned!
God Bless xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment