Saturday, January 9, 2021

Book Review: "No Time Like The Future" By Michael J. Fox



A true inspiration especially for those of us suffering from similar ailments and disorders. 

I've never met Michael and though I grew up watching Family Ties and Back to the Future movies I've never truly latched on as a 'super fan' but have grown to develop a much greater appreciation not just for his talent per say but his empathy, love, compassion, and tenacity.

Lets face it when life gives you lemons you don't just make lemonade you create an entire new prospect upon life. You exude personality, you simplify life's importance, you level off and truly live life to its fullest.

I've admired his perseverance against all odds. When I was reading not just about his Parkinson's but his spinal tumors I couldn't help but relate to my own medical issues that I've suffered for over 30 years that went misdiagnosed.

Michael noted much of what I've suffered but was told by PT (male) that he can pull anyone off the street with similar spinal stenosis.

It wasn't until I was finally provided an MRI that I learned the true extent of my injuries. Severe L foraminal narrowing with mild/moderate R foraminal narrowing L5S1.
Broad based disc bulge with central annular fissure and facet arthropathy (DDD) with minimal canal stenosis (L4L5)

Facet arthropathy with R minimal foraminal narrowing on L3L4.

In fact I was to have major back surgery but it was cancelled because my hemoglobin/iron was too low as I have severe microcytic hypochromic anemia and require iron transfusions/b12 injections at local cancer center. However, I ended them because they were giving me severe headaches so now I get light headed and have low oxygen stats that warrant frequent hospital ER visits when needed because doctors are so bad here I refuse to go to them unless on the death bed when I require immediate IV treatments prior to passing out.

So you're now thinking who cares?

The reason I bring this up is because I was told I looked great until I had developed COPD, Asthma, Chronic Bronchitis (that I had for over 20 yrs. labeled as acute).
Ok, so what?

The issue is we need better medical care and more thoughtful doctors in our facilities around the world.

Michael is lucky to be wealthy to receive the best care money can provide because women don't get the same treatment and most certainly not in extreme poverty with governmental aid and health insurance.

We are guinea pigs and it wasn't until I checked my online insurance, selected my own spinal doctor, scheduled an immediate appointment that things finally got rolling with a diagnosis 30 years after suffering in debilitating pain.

My legs collapsed, my gait is off, my vertigo and balance is horrific, my chiropractor must crack my neck to keep my vertigo in check to prevent falls. In fact, as I type this at the base of my neck 
is a huge bump that I'll have to have checked as I'm sure the fluid build up is back.

Folks, if you've never suffered from this you have no idea how excruciating it can be and like Michael you must take your health seriously and fight for better care.

When I went for lung x-rays the ER technicians always noted how bad my back was yet nobody bothered to check anything until I put my foot down at the risk of being told I talk fast among other negative commentary for trying to squeeze 30 yrs of problems on medical files into ten minutes of a office visit.

You have to admire a man who refuses to let PD get him down. Even more embracing is his family support structure, his professional structure, and all those who give him comfort and praise.

As a woman I wouldn't know what to do with such kindness. As I've been spit upon, thrown rocks at while driving, and told I deserved abuse.

A man's world is so much different from a woman's but I can get into the inequality until you address the current state of affairs in our world.

The epilogue addressing Covid was a beautiful addition to the stories and personal reflections that warmed my heart.

No Time Like the Future is a book for all ages that shows no matter what hand you're dealt you must try to ride the wave and overcome every obstacle.

Never rest. Never give up. Never settle!

God bless Michael and his beautiful family.

Keep up the good fight!

No comments:

Post a Comment