Friday, January 1, 2021

Book Review: "The Divines" By Ellie Eaton



The Divines was ultimately a mark of puberty, adulthood, transgressions, sexuality, identity crisis, and so much more.

To be sure this was not for those seeking to spend an enjoyable weekend with a happy go lucky ending.

This was the opposite. Full of intensity. Disparaging remarks. Complicated high school challenges.

Specifically this dealt with many hot topics that may be troublesome such as child abuse, sexual promiscuity, bullying, eating disorders, and a host of sexual lingo reverting to body parts & sexual interactions with others.

I'm old school and sadly I don't venture into chick lit territory too much because I'm a tom boy born and raised in the mountains of Northeastern Pennsylvania.
For me, girls bickering is not a fandom nor anything more than useless drama that could be used to entertain but not fulfilling to readers.

While there's some enjoyment in the relationships especially centered upon Lauren and Jo that which remained left me to wonder what the point of it all had become.

Surely, the idea is that these young ladies are to grow and prosper to become healthy, active, vibrant and successful women yet everything seemed to stand still w/o growth or development in terms of these characters.

With regards to the ending Jerry did become successful as a doctor, keynote speaker, author but I was left with an open ending which I'm not sure if it was to make me think more about these relationships or to get me interested in the next read.

The audio version was ok but the constant penis/tits references put me off and perhaps for the YA genre that's ok to explore as an adult it felt immature, useless, and diverted away from the rest of the story.

I'm just not grasping why so much attention to detail was placed on these body parts when it would've been better focused on the plot and strengthening the characters dynamics.
Well, this was certainly challenging, unique, and different and if you're a fan of fiction, contemporary, drama, YA, and the like this may be better suited.

Thank you to Ellie Eaton whom acknowledged the fact of this review online as I'm sure her book baby took many years to complete.

I would love to give this author another go as this was a debut and was very good as a debut.

No comments:

Post a Comment