Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Book Review: "An American Story" By Mark Lages



"I am neither a liberal nor a conservative. In fact, I despise politics. I think of myself as an artist, and not as a journalist"-Mark Lages

"I have read a number of books from author Mark Lages, and I have enjoyed them all. I have to say that "An American Story" is my favorite so far, and I think it showcases some of Mark's outstanding qualities as a storyteller. This author never tells a routine tale, and, somehow, he manages to make us see ourselves (and himself as well) in each unique narrative. "An American Story" is just that--the representation and dissection of "the American dream". There is a central character, Huey Baker, who weaves his way in and out of various vignettes, which are interspersed with quotes by famous folks. There are also revised song lyrics scattered here and there, and if you know the tune, you will automatically sing along. Take the time to sit back and really enjoy this book--it will entertain you, but it will also give you much food for thought."--Virginia Campbell Goodreads Reviewer

If you've never read Mark Lages you are missing something huge! Something beyond the norm. A combo of every genre mixed together that leaves readers questioning themselves and their actions towards the greater good.

It's that empathetic, nurturing, mentoring type of feel that I enjoy as it's never just one topic, one narrative, one story line, but a multitude of interesting dynamics all tugging at the heart strings all at one time.

Here we have everything from the Vietnam war, to the American Flag and the traditional idea of what being an American means. Is it just about our freedoms?

It's not political in nature but it does make you go deeper into the psyche to evaluate everything that holds meaning to one's soul.

Love of family, love of animals, love of history, and love of oneself.

It's always a pleasure to read and I'm blessed to get these ARC's to explore such magic time and time again.

I cannot do this book justice via words as it can't just be read it must be felt, examined, reflected upon, and digested wholly to take you to that higher plain.

I hope you find this review to your liking and I hope it spikes interest in this amazing piece of work.

Thank you Mark Lages for this early copy that will be cherished for a lifetime.

I cannot wait to see what you bring to your readers next, but I for one will be sure to line up in waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment