Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Book Review: "How You Say It" By Katherine D. Kinzler


I'll be honest- the main reason I picked this novel up was because I myself have had issues being misunderstood simply based on how I talk from my current location- good old Northeastern Pennsylvania.

The reason I couldn't wait to write a review is because recently I went to a doctor after 30 yrs of misdiagnosis to finally get to the root of my medical problems because as women we are often told,"You're fine."

I will quote what I wrote to the Privacy Office here," Pulmonologists shouldn't be making conclusive statements about someone's mental health without a full examination, w/o totality of the circumstances, within a ten minute time frame for 1st time visit& without experience in field as it could lead to dire consequences for unstable individuals. I've had 20 yrs of misdiagnosis, 20 yrs of acute bronchitis, computer error HUS, pneumonia shot due since 1979 & DOB of 73, emergency inhaler not filled at pharmacy as doctor w/o proper papers on file."

Imagine if you will going for pulmonology test to finally get to the root of 20 yrs of problems and being told 'You talk fast by the pulmonologist and that you're tangential in your thoughts' because you tried to show the interconnected problems piggybacking within your own body.

This not only happened it resulted in my refusal to now go to doctors and only have ER visits.

We live in a world that's quick to pass judgement rather than understand why it's occurring this way.

Sadly, I'm not only told I talk fast but that I talk loud. 
Imagine that? I have two elderly parents and a son who are all hard of hearing. My father wears a hearing aid as a Cold War Navy Vet who lost his hearing working near air carriers. My mother can't now hear do to being almost 80 years of age. My son has had issues since birth born with Vater Syndrome as a preemie being 5 weeks early and actually failed his hearing test as a newborn.
I've never been more insulted in my intellect but in my capacities as a human being in my life and I see this in every facet of life.

For example having had a divorce the courts told me I'm not credible or believable because of how I spoke, how I appeared (since I'm below poverty unable to afford nice clothing), or how I presented myself in terms of being nervous, anxious, or stressed as any new client in a court room setting would be without having a supportive system in place.

I'm a Masters graduate yet I was down played to being nothing more than a single mom simply because the judge refused to acknowledge I have the very same degree as my former spouse with all the accolades.

I do believe in this day and age that women sadly will see more of this obnoxious behavior and will have to be on the lookout for themselves in protecting their rights.

It's so sad to see this play out but with regards to this book I'm so pleased to have been able to read the various ways that language can be misconstrued, how personal bias, gender, and other outside verbal cues play a role in our perception of one another.

I knew body language played a role in perception and bias based on my college courses but till now had no idea that language, the tone, the bilingualism, the accents, the language itself would all come into play.

This was such a fascinating read as I never thought I'd take away as much as I did from this compact, precise, and well written piece.

The research and experiments to showcase the results was phenomenal.

I can't wait to see what Katherine D. Kinzler is able to produce next but I will surely enjoy waiting to find out.

Thank you to Katherine, the pub, NetGalley, and Amazon Kindle as this truly clarified so much of what I've already been subjected too.

No comments:

Post a Comment