Saturday, August 1, 2020

Book Review: "Invent and Wander" By Walter Isaacson

"Big Things Start Small."

Apparently so small that this was not offered on Kindle App version; ironic considering Jeff's ties in creating the platform & the 'modern bookstore' as it was so aptly named; as I sat reading from my desktop.

Upon the completion, I wondered why the employees never became a topic for discussion till near end, even when customer service seemed paramount to the overall and underlying main theme?

As a 'distribution center' former employee of Lord and Taylor I know these 'work to death' facilities are quite attractive and appealing for the cost but not for the heavy price one must pay to work there.
For example, as a side note: I was top producer/associate of the month (CTH/GTH) having received a one time bonus of $25 with 10 cent raises with base salary of $7.25 hr when I was 17 years of age. I worked like a dog to put myself into college, and subsequently left when a 50lb metal trolley (used to transport) materials fell on my head and management offered zero assistance. In fact, even 30 yrs earlier, these times of work hard and get somewhere in life were sold like the 'American Dream' to wealth and prosperity. Ironically, these companies also have the best lawyers in the area so good luck if you must sue as I wasn't allowed to even entertain the thought of legal action as my injuries weren't severe enough.

It was anything but 'glamorous' as we worked in deplorable conditions right off a conveyor with animals, bugs, and other items falling out of shipping boxes.

I also was subjected to 'diesel fumes' from loading dock area, filthy air fans that didn't circulate and if used blew dust and debris-worked 40 hrs but paid under so I wouldn't get paid full time wages, and rarely took a lunch to be able to work like a nut.

I'm a well educated individual who has gone on to get her MPA/CJ degree but never used it because of health complications and raising of my family solo (3 children) from an 11 yr marriage.

Do you know all these years later (30 to be precise) the same job pays the same wages with I'm sure the lil to no benefits? In addition, I now suffer from lung issues ie. asthma, copd, chronic bronchitis, along with severe anemia and severe spinal stenosis having had ganglion cyst (similar to corporal tunnel surgery) performed on my right hand before I hit 30 years old as a nonsmoker.

I bring this up because you can't bullshit and old bullshitter as the saying goes...

I know what this work entails..heavy lifting, constant bending, high traffic and high mileage -you could say-as these facilities are not small. Work on the clock, perform to specifications, and don't step out of line like the chain gang.

I'd love to introduce you to reality 101.

This is not good, productive, or worthy to treat employees this way-https://www.geekwire.com/2020/warehou...
I would also note that while Amazon may pay well to entice workers the moral is take it or leave it and yes many take it because they can't earn a decent 'living' wage in America anymore.

In fact to stress my point further I'd note housing costs for these factory workers even with $15 and hr won't cover the basics especially if they have families to tend to or other needs such as medical, college, and the like. https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/na...
With this noted I have read some promising objectives, innovations, and programs: Renewable energy (40%) current rate of sustainability within Amazon. Pay to quit programs offering 2k first year of employment with 1k each year thereafter to quit (of course up to 5k). Or the veterans hiring process which is quite commendable.

The most appreciative program seems to be the Career Choice which provides 95% tuition to paid employees regardless of future career endeavors relevant or irrelevant to Amazon.

However, I also worry over greed, the bottom dollar, the quality of life for everyone living near these facilities and prospering from within them, and of course I worry about the current work life balance that's needed to be healthy and strong. https://www.businessinsider.com/what-...
When I worked like a dog to death I wasn't given any perks, unless you feel 10 cent raises are great yearly incentives, but I did walk away with a new feel for the value of importance, acceptance, inclusion, and pride.

There's non of this in these settings-it's a grinding way to produce-and it's an awful way to work. If the big wigs had to do what the workers are doing on the floor, delivering these items, and providing these stats they'd be exhausted.

This is not the American Dream it's the get rich scheme and there's a difference when you ride your successes upon the backs of hard working Americans.

As they say -put your money were your mouth is- but as I witnessed with my own company who resided on tax free property -they don't care about the little people.

Sure the quotes are nice, " We invent before we have to." Do you really wonder about how employees will make ends meet at the end of the workday?

Just curious because I do.

I'm all for improvements and surely they are vast, steadily growing, and changing the online business but what about those mom and pops who had to abandon their livelihood?

I have high standards too along with high expectations and skills. Please do read my profile in its entirety however, for me this work is grueling, inhumane, and taxing upon these workers & shall the day come when I'm able to become employable after 10 years of job searching with a dual masters, 20 yrs volunteering, Points of Light Awardee by our 41st President -and not be told to dummy down, stay silent, and go with the grain -than and only then will equality for all -be seen as success.

'For all' is the key....

No comments:

Post a Comment